As a fan of both the ‘Harry Potter‘ and the ‘A Song of Ice and Fire‘ (ASoIaF/Game of Thrones) series, it is obvious for me to draw comparisons between the two series. But I stumbled upon this one question on Quora, which asked “Are there similarities between Jon Snow and Harry Potter?” and it got me thinking real hard. In no time, I had thought of 16 such similarities (and counting) and wrote an answer about it then and there itself. I thought I would also share it with you. You can also read the answer here.
Read on, ONLY if you have read both the Harry Potter series and the ‘ASoIaF’ series. Because SPOILERS are guaranteed to follow. Enjoy!
Boy, that is an interesting question!
Hmm, let’s see… *some spoilers*
- Harry and Jon both are the protagonists who started from nothing.
- Both were not part of their actual worlds. Harry didn’t even know that the Wizarding World existed while Jon (being told he was a bastard) was never part of the royal rituals.
- Both grew up without love. Harry was never loved by his aunt and uncle while Jon was purposely kept away from Ned. And Catelyn never loved him because he wasn’t hers.
- Harry and Jon both stand up for their friends and the weak. Harry always looks out for Neville and Luna while Jon always looks out for Sam. Harry never judges Ron for his under-confidence while Jon never calls Sam fat and weak!
- Both get super angsty. Harry in book 5. Jon throughout the series!
- Both look up to their father-figure type old mentors. Harry to Dumbledore and Jon to Commander Mormont/Maester Aemon (in a way…)
- Both respected their fathers. Harry was awed by James’s awesomeness. Jon always wanted to please his father Ned (for now… Later, it may be revealed that Rhaegar was his father, who is as cool as James!)
- Both had a Godfather-like figure in their lives. Harry had an awesome godfather Sirius Black. Jon had a badass uncle Benjen.
- Both have arch-nemesis. Harry has Draco. Jon has Ser Thorne (well, he has so many!).
- BOTH died and came back. Harry was nearly killed by Voldemort in Book7 and came back while Jon was stabbed by his Sworn Brothers of the Night’s Watch and is scheduled to come back on 24th of April, 2016. *wink, wink*
- Both have extremely loyal friends with big families. Jon has Sam Tarly and Harry has Ron Weasely.
- Both Harry and Jon have big secrets that they don’t know of till the end. Harry was a horcrux of Voldemort all along while Jon is the legitimate son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. (Again, this is not confirmed yet…)
- Both have dealt with deaths. Harry has seen the death of his godfather Sirius, his parents James and Lily, his friends Remus Lupin and Dora Tonks, Fred, Dobby, his mentor Dumbledore and his pet owl Hedwig. Jon has to cope up with the deaths of Ned, Catelyn (even though he wasn’t close to her), Robb, Commander Mormont, Maester Aemon, Bran and Rickon (because he doesn’t know they are alive, yet) and Ygritte.
- Both have strange hairstyles. Harry has jet black, spikey hair that never goes down and always stands up messily in every direction. Jon has great black curls.
- Both love red-heads. Jon loved Ygritte who had flaming red hair. You know who else had flaming red hair? Ginny, who Harry loved!
This is as far as I can remember. Will edit if I remember some more.
If you, yourself, have some more similarities to point out between the 998th Lord Commander Snow and the Chosen One Harry Potter, please don’t forget to leave a comment down below!
As always, if any of it made you smile, laugh, frown or giggle like a little baby, comment share and like! To be up-to-date with my other posts, give a like to my Facebook page and follow on Twitter if you use it! Any images used are either taken from Google Images or from my own personal collection or other sources which will be mentioned if and when, unless stated otherwise. Contact me if you want it removed.